Thursday, May 1, 2008

Joining The Veggie Parade?

I've been seriously seriously considering removing meat from my diet.

I've really worked hard in the last couple of years to buy meat from local sources at the farmer's market to lower the environmental impact and strive to buy things that are hormone free and locally raised. I concentrate my purchases mostly on an amish poultry stand, as well as a butcher that smokes its' own pork products.

Now, I really do like the taste of meat. Particularly bacon, ham and chicken. I like tofu, beans and other forms of protein, but the meat subsitutes just don't do it for me, even though I can do seitan in chili!

These days when I look at meat or eat it, i'm getting really grossed out, and I think of all the energy that went into what i'm eating.

I'm so conflicted about it.

I know that I will get a LOT of guff from my family, but mostly from Chris' family, if I remove meat from my diet. They already think i'm some kind of crazy liberal anyhow. His grandma will flip out. I know it. They already have a hard enough time with me not eating red meat.

And then I think of the things I can't eat if I limit myself that way. I know it would probably benefit my health in so many ways, but I also know how much of my own social life and family life in which that will limit me.

Decisions, Decisions!

1 comment:

FAT BRIDESMAID said...

I could never give up bacon, but I think if you're really not feeling the meat then you might as well give it up. It's not like you can't start eating it again if it stops grossing you out.